8.04?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 09:15:38 UTC 2008

On 05/04/2008, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 00:10 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>  > Don't use tinyurl. How do I know it's not pointing to malware?
>
> I could have used the preview version, that's right. OTOH if you don't
>  trust me you can google my email adress and see my 3000 posts to this
>  list.

It's not only you, it's everyone who uses the service. Naturally, I
cannot google everyone that I come across. Furthermore, I don't trust
that tinyurl itself won't get compromised.

>  >  Do you
>  > trust that tinyurl will stay in business for as long as that link is
>  > valid?
>
> I certainly trust that they will stay in business until this bug is
>  fixed :)

Let's hope so. 20 more days to release...

>  > Do you trust them not to deliberately or accidentally try to
>  > pass on some malware en route to the site?
>
> How would they do that? To your browser it's just as dangerous as any
>  other unknown URL

That's correct. However, bugs.launchpad.net is not an unknown host to me.

>  > Do you want them tracking
>  > you?
>
> I wouldn't post to this list under my real name if I were afraid of
>  people knowing that I use Ubuntu.

True, but in a general sense, I understand the concerns of many that
all traffic to XYZ URL is passing through a third party, including the
ability of that party to track them.

>  > Do you want the link to be unaccessible when tinyurl is
>  > performing updates or down for other reasons?
>
> See above comment for my expected lifetime of the bug.

Tinyurl could perform periodic maintance at any time. Often, US
companies like to do that in the middle of the night for N.America:
that's right in the middle of my morning when I'm most productive.

>  > Is the increased latency
>  > and bandwidth necessary?
>
> Oh come on.

I'm not kidding. The proxies my university goes through make the
rediculous. And I know many people still on dialup. For you and your
broadband (and me, at home) this is not an issue. For a good
percentage of the 'net it is.

>  > There are fifty more reasons not to use tinyurl. I will never click
>  > them. Post the url and be done with it.
>
> Or, you know, you could search Launchpad yourself. Jeez.

True. But I was trying to discourage the use of Tinyurl, not save
myself the trouble of searching. I also have some bad computing
practices, however, I'm grateful when those are pointed out to me.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.