Nervous Mouse Syndrome

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sat Apr 5 08:04:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 18:07 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> Joe you have been given, by accident I hope some very bad information.
> For example gksu is really sudo. Now gedit is on all Ubuntu versions I
> think. Look at Applications -> Accesories -> Gedit and it will come up
> on your screen. It is very easy to use.
>
>     So what you want to do is cd

So it's not enough that you post this crap once, you post it TWICE? Well
ok, I will have to repeat my correction then:

On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 15:49 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Joe you have been given, by accident I hope some very bad information.
> For example gksu is really sudo.

No, gksu _is the right tool to use. sudo should never be used to start
graphical applications, as this could cause problems:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo (in the "Notes" section)

>  Now gedit is on all Ubuntu versions I
> think. Look at Applications -> Accesories -> Gedit and it will come up
> on your screen. It is very easy to use.

The reason the OP was told to use gksu is that otherwise he won't be
able to use gedit to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, as it does not
have the permissions set to let ordinary users change it. HE needs to
elevate his privileges by using gksu.

To the OP: go to menu Applications/Accessories and open "Terminal". Then
enter "gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" on the command line and press
Enter. (You can select the above command with the mouse and paste it
into the terminal with a click of the middle mouse button.)

>     So what you want to do is cd

???