Trouble with wireless connection after update

Richard W Harper HARPER_RICHARD_W at LILLY.COM
Thu Apr 3 14:37:34 UTC 2008

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 beta, which seems to work fine.  My wireless
ethernet and
my printer installed without a problem.  The problem arose when I
installed the
313 updates.  I think a kernel update (now 2.6.24-12; I think that is not
what
was installed with the original distribution); and updated to DCHP.  My
wireless
ethernet card is now nonfunctional.  The card is an Airlink 101 using the
ralink
RT2561/RT61 chipset.
lshw:  shows the rt61 as wmaster0 (which I think it should since the
Ubuntu uses
mac80211 (linux wireless standard).  The actual drivers (rt61 and rt2x00 -
pci)
are loaded and virtual interfaces created, such as wlan0 in my case.
iwconfig:  shows the interfaces wmaster0 and wlan0 as it should (did when
it was
working).
ifconfig:  returns three interfaces wmaster0-00 (not just wmaster0 - I
think
this is why ifup and dhclient cannot find the right interfaces); wlan0;
and
wlan0:avahi (which was not there at all when the connection was working).
iwlist:  iwlist wlan0 scan - shows the router as it should.
dhclient:  dhclient wlan0 - says:  wmaster0 unknown hardware address type
801.
SO:  It looks as though things became confused when the kernel update (and

built-in driver update) occurred.
Question:  What to do?
Is there a way to completely unload the drivers and have them all reload
correctly?  Is there erroneous configuration information being saved
somewhere?
Help appreciated.  I continue to do research on the problem.  Anyone else
had
it and solved it?

rwharper at alum.mit.edu