8.04?

Fri Apr 4 22:55:51 UTC 2008

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 13:46:47 -0500
Avi Schwartz <ubuntu-users874 at cfftechnologies.com> wrote:
> It depends on your laptop.  I had/have a wonderful experience with the
> combination of Ubuntu and a Dell Latitude D820 and it seems I will have
> a great experience with a Dell XPS m1330 (since you can get it
> pre-installed with Ubuntu).

I've had mixed experience with Dells (we've got lots of them at work, and I use various Linux LiveCDs for repairs). Even before the new silly ATi graphics chipsets, there were a few that would have issues with X, and a fair few with wifi oddities (not, I should point out, that they did Windows out of the box very well at all either). From what I hear, Dell have a habit of subtly changing the chipsets in their laptops (like Linksys with their wifi adaptors).

OTOH, my Lenovo R61i worked with 7.10 out of the box. No funny fiddling required at all (except the usual x86 apps on x86_64 fun). As I understand, Centrino laptops run Intel graphics and wifi chipsets, so they're a pretty good bet for Linux.

--
Avi Greenbury