LiveCD: How to set rootpassword? Security considerations?

Niels Andersen niels.ejvind.andersen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 17:43:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 06:52 -0400, sleepyvulva at lavabit.com wrote:
> > When using an Ubuntu LiveCD, everything runs as root or some kind of
> > ultimate sudo power, right? I have a few questions:

The live CD does not run as root, it runs as a default user named "ubuntu".

> > 1. How may I change or set a password on the LiveCD during use?
>
> What for?

If you log out you can't get back in, since you don't know the password.  It
isn't "ubuntu"!

The answer is to open a Terminal session and issue the command:

$ sudo passwd ubuntu

You will be prompted twice for a new password, but you will not be prompted
for the old password.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the menu item on the Gnome panel where
you will find the
Terminal menu item, since I am on a "winders" machine right now, but it is
the first menu item on the left.

--
Niels Andersen