[ping - need added help/suggestions] Re: Gutsy Upgrade problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 4 00:33:57 UTC 2008

On 04/03/2008 03:41 PM, Rick Knight wrote:

> After doing a lot of comparing between my desktop at work, my notebook
> and my desktop at home, I'm beginning to think that the problem is the
> chipset in my desktop at home is not supported by libata. The
> motherboard in the PC is about 4 years old and has a Via VT82C568A/B,
> VT82C686A/B, VT823x/A/C chipset. When I boot the Feisty kernel, libata
> and ata_generic are being loaded but are not being used...
>
> $ lsmod | grep ata
> ata_generic            9902   0
> libata                     125720 ata_generic
> scsi_mod                142348 libata,sg,st,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi
>
> This tells me that libata is being using by ata_generic, but ata_generic
> isn't being used.
>
> Also, lsmod shows that ide_disk is being used...
>
> $ lsmod | grep ide
> ide_cd                       32672  0
> cdrom                       37664  1 ide_cd
> ide_disk                    17024  5

I get:
$ lsmod | grep ide
video                  17164  0
$ lsmod | grep ata
ata_generic             7556  0
ata_piix               16644  4
libata                125040  2 ata_generic,ata_piix
scsi_mod              146828  5 sd_mod,sg,sr_mod,initio,libata

> I think this tells me that this kernel is using IDE_DISK and not
> ATA_GENERIC. Neither my desktop PC at work nor my notebook PC load the
> IDE_DISK. They both use ATA_PIIX. I've looked for a Via ATA module in
> the kernel source, but all I can find is SATA_VIA and this module is
> installed but doesn't seem to work  (I don't have serial ata drives).
>
> Am I correct in this? If I am correct, how can I fix this problem? Is
> there a Via ata driver I'm not seeing?

It's all out of my league.

When I was having problems upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy on the machine
with the Mitsumi CD-ROM, I troubleshot it by pulling the peripheral
(floppy & CD-ROM) power cables until it booted. Did the same with a
faulty second hard drive & also found a machine with outdated bios that
wouldn't boot when a USB flash cardreader was connected at boot time. I
updated the bios on the last one, and the USB flash cardreader finally
got resolved.

Not the most Ubuntu way to do it, but it helped me eliminate which
device was causing the Busybox errors. If all else fails, give it a try
(pulling one peripheral/drive) at a time.