[ubuntu-users] Second of several questions

Ted Hilts thilts at mcsnet.ca
Thu Apr 3 18:01:26 UTC 2008

J & K Spaulding

Thank you for your suggestion but I think you have missed an important
point. First, I employ SAMBA (both client and server) on my LAN where
ever I can. No, I cannot use SAMBA for this problem because there is no
way of declaring these ntfs hard drives as shares operating under
Ubuntu. If there is a way of so declaring these ntfs drives as SAMBA
shares operating under Ubuntu then "great" but I don't think that is the
case.

Remember, as I earlier stated, these ntfs drives are automatically set
up by Ubuntu as:

"

My problem is the ntfs hard drives.  Anything I store on them under
Ubuntu operations looks like:
-rwxrwx--- 2 root plugdev   371386 2006-07-08 22:18 xinha-latest.zip

"
When I do the mount command this is what I get:

/dev/sde1 on /media/sde1 type fuseblk
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)

So, you see that it seems to me there is no way of declaring these ntfs
hard drives (operating under Ubuntu) as SAMBA shares so they could be
accessible to another Windows (XP, etc.) machine. The problem is not
accessing these ntfs drives on the local machine (in this case the dual
boot XP-Ubuntu machine. The problem is other Windows (XP, etc.) machines
accessing these ntfs drives. Other Windows machines seem unable to write
and execute even though the permissions allow this. I think the reason
is that MS Windows OS can't handle these permissions and ownership
classifications and I cannot alter them because they are inherent in the
way Ubuntu deals with ntfs drives.

If I am wrong then give me the SAMBA syntax command line that will allow
operation of these ntfs drives as SAMBA shares operating under Ubuntu
and accessible by means of write and execute modes by the other Windows
machines on the LAN.

Hope you or someone else has a solution. Otherwise, I think I will
reformat these ntfs hard drives to Linux ext3 format and then declare
them as shares served by the Ubuntu SAMBA SERVER and therefore available
to LAN Windows machines (share clients) as SAMBA MOUNTS generated by the
Ubuntu SAMBA server.

Thanks, Ted