ubuntu 7.10 and raid 1

Neil hok.krat at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:19:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Victor Sterpu <victor at ambra.ro> wrote:

> I installed a Ubuntu 7.10 server.
>
> Partitions are /boot, / and swap, and all of them are RAID 1.
>

> After OS instalation, I installed grub on both hdd's like this:
>
> >root(hd0,0)
>
> >setup(hd0)
>  >root(hd1,0)
>
> >setup(hd1)
>

>  Then I waited for the RAID to syncronize.
>
> After this I removed one hdd and tryed too boot from the other and reverse.
>

> But the surprize was that the computer didn't booted without one of the
> hdd's.
>
> It boots only with both hdd's connected.
>
> With only one hdd Ubuntu freezes in a initial stage. On the screen I can
> read:
>
> Starting up ...

> Any idees about how can I fix this problem?
>
> Thank you.

Is it a hard raid, soft raid or a fake raid (embedded raid in the
motherboard or raid card <50 EUR)?
The info you provided suggest a soft raid, but my info says you can't
boot from a soft raid system, only hard raid and fake raid.

I'd be verry interrested to know if it works if it is a soft raid.

Neil

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.