8.04 beta to 8.04 final?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 3 01:56:45 UTC 2008

On 04/02/2008 05:39 PM, Avi Schwartz wrote:
> I am about to get a new laptop in the next few days and I would like to
> install 8.04 right now rather then install 7.04 and then upgrade to
> 8.04.  What would it take to update from the beta version to the final
> version?  Will changing the repositories and running apt-get update
> followed by apt-get dist-upgrade enough to do the update?

Unless you have the time to participate in filing bugs &
troubleshooting, I definately recommend that you instead install Gutsy.

Hardy is still in Beta and still has many, many outstanding bugs. Like
any beta release, the purpose is to gain feedback from _testers_; those
who are willing to _test_ and participate in the beta process.

If you are a casual and/or a production user and expect Hardy to  just
work, please don't install it just yet. If on the otherhand you don't
mind participating in the beta and bug filing process, by all means
please do install and welcome to the club :-)

And in response to your last: If you install Beta now, you will be
updated as fixes are released via the update notifier and/or standard
sudo apt-get update / sudo apt-get upgrade. In fact, you can reasonably
expect a nice update surprise nearly every day for some time to come.