Firewall with Ubuntu

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Wed Apr 2 21:14:24 UTC 2008

Joseph <ubuntu at e-pops.org> wrote:

> I suppose this gives me another questions.  There are three options
> here, in apparently two types, which are:
>
>         IPTables
>                 Firestarter (for gnome) or Guarddog ( for KDE)
>
> What's the difference in them?  How are Firestarter and Guarddog (a
> simple GUI front end) similar and how are these two different from the
> IPTables which is......??

iptables is the kernel code that actually handles the filtering,
together with some command line tools to configure it.

All the other "firewalls" are really just front ends for iptables.

To use iptables manually you need some knowledge about TCP/IP and
networking in general and gives you all the power and flexibility of
iptables (if you need that). Some shell scripting skills may come
handy.

The front ends are usually less powerful but often require less
knowledge and/or make it easier to manager large and complex rule
sets.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>