[ping - need added help/suggestions] Re: Gutsy Upgrade problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 2 20:07:48 UTC 2008

On 04/02/2008 09:55 AM, Rick Knight wrote:

> NoOp,
>
> When I ran gparted and posted the results here, I saw that GRUB and my
> boot partition were not where they should have been (or where I thought
> they were). I decided last night to correct this and see if it would
> solve my Gutsy problem. I moved GRUB and everything in my /boot folder
> on /dev/hda5 to /dev/hda2, deleted the /boot folder on /dev/hda5 and
> then ran update-grub and then grub ...
>
> sudo grub
> grub> setup (hd0)
> find /grub/stage1
>
> (hd0,1)
> grub> boot (hd0,1)
>
> quit

You need to use the root command to tell it where root is:

grub> root (hd0,1)

Or perhaps you mean root instead of boot? Either way, I _think_ it has
to go before the setup command (not sure if if makes a difference).

Also, I'd recommend you put your /etc/initramfs-tools/modules back to
what is was before. From your first post:

/etc/initramfs-tools/modules
and added these lines (from a post at Launchpad)...

# added for support of older, standard hdx drives
piix
ide_generic
ide_cd
ide_disk

# black-list bad driver
ata_piix

# prevent unnecessary modules from loading (optional)
blacklist ata_generic
blacklist libata
blacklist scsi_mod

> I also modified /etc/fstab to reflect the change to the boot partition
> and to make sure only my /boot and / and swap partitions were listed. I
> used sudo blkid /dev/hda2 to get the ID for the new /boot partition and
> made sure all the UUIDs in fstab and menu.lst matched. I also changed
> menu.lst to recognize (hd0,1) as the boot device.
>
> I rebooted, first into my Feisty kernel. It worked fine. I rebooted into
> the Gutsy kernel. Same errors as before. The drives are not being
> created under the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel. Under Feisty the drives are
> created as /dev/hdxn with UUIDs as symbolic links to /dev/hdxn.
>
> I read this on the Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailling list...
>
> "Starting from Gutsy, the old IDE chipset drivers are no longer included
> in the kernel package. The libata based drivers, being cleaner and
> easier to maintain, have taken the places of the old drivers.
>
> However, external CD writers don't work with the new libata based IDE drivers. Please see bug report #109211 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/109211> for details. Considering that external CD/DVD writers are widely used hardware, I suggest keep the old IDE drivers until this bug is fixed, so that users can still use their external CD/DVD writers in Ubuntu after very little manual configuration. They should not conflict with anything if not loaded"
>
> I realize the author is talking about external CD-ROM drives, but could
> this be what I'm running into? Would I be able to fix my issue by
> building a new kernel with support for the older IDE drivers? I have an
> older Soyo motherboard with a Via chipset. Maybe my chipset is not
> compatible with the newer SATA drivers.

I run stuff that is over 8 years old, and the only problem that I've had
with a CD-ROM was an old Mitsumi drive. But that was in Feisty:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/99800