How can I install two versions of the same program simultaneously?

Gerald Dachs ubuntu at dachsweb.de
Wed Apr 2 08:54:00 UTC 2008

Quoting Michele <m.zarri at gmail.com>:

> On 4/1/08, J & K Spaulding <spaulding at iimetro.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> you can install the rpm package:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install rpm
>> ________________________________
>
> Hello J,
>
> Apologies for what is probably a dumb question: if I install rpm as
> you suggest, can I then install rpm packages without converting them
> to .deb with alien?
> What is the implication in terms of the applications database? will I
> end up with two separate databases or will synaptic also track the
> .rpm packages I have installed on my system?

No, synaptic will not know about the RPM database. RPM will complain heavily
about missing dependencies, because it doesn't know about the already
installed .deb packages. You could force the installation then. Been a
distributor of a RPM based distro, I recommend not to mix RPM and .deb
packages.

Gerald