How can I install two versions of the same program simultaneously?

Gerald Dachs ubuntu at dachsweb.de
Tue Apr 1 20:19:22 UTC 2008

Am Tue, 1 Apr 2008 21:00:40 +0100
schrieb Michele <m.zarri at gmail.com>:

> --instdir=dir
>               Change default installation directory which refers to
> the directory  where packages are to be installed. instdir is
>               also the directory passed  to  chroot(2)  before
> running package's  installation  scripts,  which  means  that the
>               scripts see instdir as a root directory.  (Defaults
> to /)

I think that this will work only if you setup a whole new linux
installation in that directory. The installation script will
.e.g need a shell, it will look for it in /bin, but because /
is now your instdir it will not find it, and breaks.
Is this understandable explained why it will not work?

Gerald