minimum RAM for Ubuntu

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 1 09:24:18 UTC 2008

hi,
Am Montag, den 31.03.2008, 17:35 -0700 schrieb Hilary Naylor:
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu (or Edubuntu) on a Dell latitude CPt laptop
> that was donated to my school. The installation stalls at the point where
> there is a brown rectangle on the screen and the icon for Nautilus appears.
> The laptop has only 129MB RAM (and a 6GB hard disk). Is this the reason it
> is stalling? Is there a minimal version of Ubuntu I could use? I am afraid
> that more RAM for the laptop will be too expensive.
the livecd installer expects about 300M free ram, you need to use the
alternate CD with its textmode installer for such hardware and should
have a big swap partition defined for the finally installed system to
enhance the physical ram ...

over all you will find ubuntu no fun in such a setup, the desktop with
all its bells and whistles needs most of it to operate (256M should be a
minimum here, if the apps need more than teh 128M you got the system
will start swapping to disk which makes everything slow)...

a better suggestion would surely be to use xubuntu which has a desktop
designed for low end systems and there install the educational apps
separately.

ciao
	oli