windows software under ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 24 17:59:56 UTC 2007

On 09/24/2007 02:40 AM, Jack Knight wrote:
> Knowsgrace at aol.com wrote:
>> I am considering installing ubuntu on my pc.   Can Windows software
>> run under ubuntu?   Where do I find the documentation?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Alan
>>
> Before embarking on this course, I suggest you see if there are native
> linux applications  which will do the jobs for you - take a look at this
> website:
>
> http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software
>
> If there are no suitable equivalents for the software you wish to run, I
> recommend VirtualBox, which from version 1.5 also includes built-in
> "seamless" windows so that you can run windows applications under a
> virtual machine and have them look like native Linux apps.
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/

Good suggestions. However before attempting VirtualBox or VMware, it's a
good idea to look at both to determine if your machine has enough
horsepower and/or memory to properly run them:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/faqs.html
[What are the minimum PC requirements to install and use VMware Player?]

Otherwise you may end up spending a great deal of time installing,
trying to get working, and uninstalling afterwards (raises hand:-).