Error in the terminal trying to fix an error with synaptic Manager

ashley benton davameg at bowiewonderworld.com
Sun Sep 16 00:39:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

Thank you for you answer, I think I was able to get what you ask. But first I was unable to configure evolution and I am using an Internet address at bowiewonderworld.com. From my email address I just reply to the message to answer.
After I am still unable to open the messages that I see in the system log, and unable to use my terminal to send or receive e-mail. For the content of/etc/apt/sources; first I tried with the terminal, then I used the text editor. Most of it are the same but there is a few that I found in text editor and not in the terminal so I added them..

meg at meg-desktop:~$ cd /etc/apt
meg at meg-desktop:/etc/apt$ ls
apt.conf.d   sources.list    sources.list.save  trusted.gpg
secring.gpg  sources.list.d  trustdb.gpg        trusted.gpg~
meg at meg-desktop:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates main restricted universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy universe

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties
# deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe
# deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security universe
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-security restricted main multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-security restricted main multiverse #Added by software-properties
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates restricted main multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates restricted main multiverse #Added by software-properties
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-proposed restricted main multiverse universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-proposed restricted main multiverse universe #Added by software-properties

meg at meg-desktop:/etc/apt$ cat source.list.d/edgy-universe.list
cat: source.list.d/edgy-universe.list: No such file or directory

meg at meg-desktop:/etc/apt$ cat sources.list.save

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy restricted main multiverse #Added by software-properties

deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates restricted main multiverse #Added by software-properties

[...]

deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-proposed restricted main multiverse #Added by software-properties

meg at meg-desktop:/etc/apt$

If I open text editor->menu file->file system->/etc/apt, I open the following list:
->apt.conf.d modified 8/16/2007
->sources.list.d modified 8/16/2007
->secring.gpg modified 10/25/2006
->sources.list modified Wednesday
->sources.list.save modified Wednesday
->trustdb.gpg modified 10/25/2006
->trusted.gpg modified 10/25/2006
->trusted.gpg~ modified 10/25/2006 (I tried to select them all to copy them and I think I moved this one. Apparently it made a copy of itself.)

After I opened sources.list.d; sources.list; and sources.list.save, the result are following:

If I open text editor ->menu file ->file system->/etc/apt->source list.d:

->Edgy-commercial.list modified wednesday->#Channel for the dapper commercial channel
                                                                          #
                                                                            software for Dapper
                                                                      deb http://archive.cannonical.com/ubuntu edgy-commercial
                                                                      main
->Edgy-commercial.list.save modified Wednesday-># channel for the dapper commercial channel
                                                                                    #
                                                                                        software for dapper
                                                                                    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu edgy-
                                                                                             commercial main
->Edgy-multiverse.list-># automatically added by gnome-app-install on 2007-08-05 20:33:34.253468
                                       deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy multiverse
                                       deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security multiverse
                                       deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates multiverse
->Edgy-multiverse.list.save-># automatically added by gnome-app-install on 2007-08-05
                                                          20:33:34.253468
                                              deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy multiverse
                                              deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security multiverse
                                             deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-updates multiverse
->Edgy-universe.list-># automatically added by gnome-app-install on 2007-08-05 19:09:20.944408
->Edgy-universe.list,save-># automatically added by gnome-app-install on 2007-08-05 19:09:20.944408

If I open text editor ->menu file ->file system->/etc/apt->source list. I obtain the same result than with the terminal

If I open text editor ->menu file ->file system->/etc/apt->source list.save I obtain the same result than with the terminal.

Thank you,

Megan