Samba - Chatagnier's revenge

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 15 22:15:26 UTC 2007

On 09/14/2007 06:00 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
>> --- NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Some of you may remember the "Long Time Samba No
>>> Work-Need Expert..."
>>> thread from Leonard Chatagnier.
>>>
>>> Well... Just wanted to let Leonard & the list know
>>> that I experience the
>>> same problem with one of my machines today. 9 hours
>>> later all is working
>>> again.
>
> I had a Samba problem yesterday.  "sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart" fixed it,
> so something was obviously not running.

Actually mine was running just fine, but for some reason when NFS was
installed at the same time things broke.

Now I have a 2 new problems:

1. Going from the XP machine to the Ubuntu machine (with printer
attached), I can print just fine (faster than Ubuntu to Ubuntu) as long
as use ipp://IPaddress:631/printers/printername. Can't seem to get it to
use smb for this.

2. I can view & transfer files from U to XP with no problem. However,
every time that I try to do a network browse from XP to U the XP machine
provides a default password prompt with a username as:
XPmachinename\Visitor. I can't seem to get it to only use :XPmachinename
& the \Visitor part is messing up the log in. I do have XPmachinename as
a valid U user & even set the shared U directory as not needing any
authentication etc. Can't figure this /Visitor thing out as I can
connect XP to my into my U server and that XP password prompt doesn't
come up as /Visitor.

Gary