Unable to open tar.gz

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 13 02:13:05 UTC 2007

On 09/12/2007 02:31 PM, miner wrote:
> Many thanks to all of you for the help you have offered and I have learned
> tremendously from all your suggestions. As I was new all this helped me
> understand Ubuntu better.

You are very welcome; welcome to Ubuntu! :-)

> And James, your suggestion of installing from synaptic was something I was
> unaware off....I installed synaptic and was simply amazed at all the
> software that was available and did install Thunderbird from there.

The problem with that is that on Feisty Synaptic only installs version
1.5 which has some serious outstanding security issues. See:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#Thunderbird

Supposedly Ubuntu's releases claim to fix security issues in whatever
version they offer in the repos (and this would include 1.5), however in
such cases I tend to lean toward installing releases via the vendor.
Particularly when the vendor (mozilla) haven't released fixes for that
version and instead recommend that users install 2.x. Furthermore,
mozilla will only maintain that version of code for *1 more month*:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all-older.html
====
Download Thunderbird 1.5

Thunderbird 1.5.0.x will be maintained with security and stability
updates until October 18, 2007. All users are strongly encouraged to
upgrade to Thunderbird 2.
====

In addition, Thunderbird 2.x offers considerably more features/functions
than 1.5, so I would *strongly* recommend that you go with 2.x instead.

Supposedly Ubuntu only stuck to outdated 'fixed' versions of software
for the Dapper LTS versions, however it appears that they have done the
same for many versions of mainstream software in Feisty as well
(OpenOffice, Thunderbird, etc). There is *no reason* why 2.0.0.6 can't
easily be backported to Feisty - it works just fine from a direct
install & multiple scripts and wiki type pages have been written on how
to install 2.x.

If you have questions regarding the standard Thunderbird offerings you
can always subscribe (using Thunderbird if you wish, or Evolution, or
SeaMonkey) to the mozilla Thunderbird support group:

news.mozilla.org
subscribe to: mozilla.support.thunderbird

> NoOp, the links and info about packages is again something I was ignorant
> about and is valuable information for me. I did not realize the learning
> curve is so steep if somebody does not show you a few basic things which are
> taken for granted. I did use the live CD for some time but learning really
> starts when a person deals with the real thing.
>
> You guys are a great bunch and much appreciated.

Again, welcome to Ubuntu :-)

Gary