PowerPC Problem

Simon Royal mail at simonroyal.co.uk
Wed Sep 12 06:38:24 UTC 2007

--- www.simonroyal.co.uk - The box said requires Windows 2000 or better, so
I bought an Apple Mac. There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those who understand binary and those who don't

On Sep 12 2007, debian wrote:

Simon Royal wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am attempting to install Ubuntu 6 on my PowerBook Titanium 400Mhz
> with 1GB of RAM.
>
> I have a 60GB drive installed with the following partitions:
>
> 39GB - Tiger
> 03GB - OS9
> 08GB - Panther
>
> I have 5GB of free space, of which I had split into two further
> partitions a 4GB (for the system) and a 1GB (for the swap).
>
> I boot from the CD and click the install icon on the desktop. I choose
> to manually select partitions, set the "/" for the 4GB and the "/swap"
> for the 1GB and I tell it to reformat these partitions. About 15% the
> way through installation I get an error message 'No NewWorld boot
> partition found'.
>
> What am I doing wrong, can anyone help?
>
> I tried this about a year ago on my PowerBook G3, dual booting with
> Ubuntu/Tiger and it worked fine. Tiger was installed first and it
> booted fine using LILO between the two. But my G4 is proving a little
> troublesome.
>
> Regards
>
> Simon Royal
> -- computer advice, repairs, upgrades and support, hardware and
> software, Mac & PC
> -- www.simonroyal.co.uk <http://www.simonroyal.co.uk>
> -- the box says requires Windows 2000 or better, so I bought a Mac
> -- there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand
> binary and those who don't

please be a bit more specific on what version of ubuntu 6.xx your
talking about (theres a 6.06 and a 6.10).

furthermore, why ubuntu 6.xx? when they have ubuntu 7.04 released for
powerpc?

the powerpc iso: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.04/release/

--cj

Hi

Thanks for pointing out version 7. I thought Ubuntu had dropped PPC support
from 6 onwards.

Late last night I managed to get 6 installed. If I simply deleted the 4GB
and 1GB partitions and let the Ubunutu partition create new ones using all
available free space it worked.

Simon