Tablet PC for gutsy suggestion

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:48:00 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I have zero experience with tablet PCs, but have read on many places that
there is some support for them with linux. The question is how much support
is available, in terms of apps and useful environments.

From googling, I discovered two (or more) suites of apps for embedded PDA
systems using linux: GPE and OPIE, the first is available in ubuntu. I've
also seen specs on ubuntu's site defining goals for embedded systems for the
next versions, but then it seemed so far in the future. IIRC, they are
maintained from handhelds.org, which also provides kernel patches for
embedded systems. Will kernel patching be needed for use of ubuntu on a
Tablet?

How does one write text without a physical keyboard? I have some experience
with Palm PDAs, and I love thei Graffiti input mechanism, where you actually
handwrite the letters with the pen and the OS recognizes them and prints the
letters in whatever app you're using. Any chance there exists something like
this for linux?

Anyone here uses any model, and would hare experiences with PIM and input (pen
or finger). Since so many people here like and recommend ThinkPads, I was
looking at the Thinkpad X61 tablet, but on some stores there are many brands
that appear to make only tablets, that I've never heard of (OQO is one of
them).

I guess my main question here is: are the compatibility problems of tablet the
same for desktops/laptops, i.e. drivers for webcam, wifi, video, etc, or will
the input method also be a hassle?

thanks in advance
FF