Information aobut gnome in ubuntu 7.10

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Wed Oct 31 17:58:08 UTC 2007

Sauro Cesaretti wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a blind studnet and I have just installed ubuntu 7.10 with orca screen
> reader but
> it seems that this version of ubuntu has some graphical effect or 3d
> functionality even because the graphical environment seems a bit slow.
> Could you give me some information about it?
> Could I disable some functionalities?

Hi Sauro.

We need more information to be able to help you fully.

1.  what video card are you currently using?
2.  what driver are you using to make that card work?
3.  do you have anything checked in the Restricted Drivers Manager?

If you carefully run the Screens and Grahpics applet in System -->
Administration you should be able to tell us what driver and card you
have.  Be c areful though, if you have a working xorg.conf you don't
want to mess it up with that tool.

While you're at it, if you can attach your xorg.conf in your reply that
will help too.

I'm going to suspect XGL again (it made my ATI x550 slow and crappy
after I upgraded) so to disable it you can use this command in a terminal:

$ touch ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable

and then either log out and then log back in, or reboot.  if that
doesn't help and you want to enable the xgl server again just delete the
file you created...

$ rm ~/.config/xserver-xgl/disable

...and again logout/login or reboot.

The list should have more help for you once you can get us some of that
info.

-d