Configuration for screen savers?

Mark Nichols ubuntu.prole at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:04:08 UTC 2007

R Kimber wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:18:42 -0500
> Charlie Brune wrote:
>

>> I'm using Gutsy and I'm wondering how to configure the screen savers.
>>
>> I see how to select them ... but is there a configure option that I'm
>> missing?  For example, there appears to be a screen saver that will
>> display a slide show of pictures, but I don't know how to tell it
>> what directory to look in for my pictures.
>>

> There's a saver called "Pictures Folder" that lets you display images
> that are in ~/Pictures.
>
> The gnome screensaver does not allow configuration options for some
> bizarre reason.  If you want to have a configurable screen saver, use
> xscreensaver.  However, avoid the saver that downloads random images
> from the internet like the plague.  It is a mega security problem and
> ought to be removed from the package.
>
> - Richard.

Both the gnome screensaver, and xsccreensaver, seem to consume a
tremendous amount of CPU on my machine.  When any screensaver from
either collection is started the fan kicks in to high gear and runs
nonstop until I quit the screensaver.

Also, the xscreensaver seemed to lock up every time I'd access it's
configuration panel, so I've temporarily disabled it. (I was forced to
used Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to get away from the xscreensaver dialog.) I
installed xscreensaver following these instructions:

How do I restrict the screensaver so that it doesn't turn my machine
into an obnoxious white-noise source?

TIA,
Mark

--
I don't believe I understand all I know about this
Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy), Kernel: Linux 2.6.22-14-generic