Static IP address assignments [WAS Re: NIC Settings for IBM Thinkpad T30 / wired & wireless]

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 30 18:39:07 UTC 2007

On 10/30/2007 07:08 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
>
>> Hi Derek
>> Not a native English speaker I cannot follow nor understand properly
>> what you mean and believe you are somewhat in error !?
>>
>> Speaking in static IP addresses here it's behind the the Wireless-Modem
>> Access Point Router !!
>
> However, almost all routers provide IP addresses via DHCP.
>
>>>From my ISP I am getting dynamic IP's of course.
>
> And your router _gets_ those dynamic IPs via DHCP.
>
>> Since more than 10 years with mainly OS/2 Warp I have absolutely not
>> problems to setup as I discuss here ;-) With my little experience in WIN
>> XP Pro I able to to so too ;-))
>>
>> Why so complicated / difficult with Linux ???
>
> It isn't.  You install, the default network configuration asks for addresses
> via DHCP and some router down the line provides them.  No muss, no fuss.
>
> You've got the router, so just go into it's configuration interface, where
> you should be able to find a page that lets you specify the MAC addresses
> for interfaces to be allowed on the LAN, and an address to give to that
> MAC.  Then you don't need to have multiple (potentially out of
> synch) /etc/hosts files, and there's only one simple web page to modify to
> keep a set of static local IPs.

And why do that when you only have a few machines instead of just
assigning static IP's to them? that's just added work.

Static IP's (LAN side) just makes life *much* easier IMPOV, particularly
with Ubunutu where host files get screwed by updates etc. I never have
problems via Samba IPP etc., using IP addresses, but always seem to have
some problem or another using hosts & dhcp. Seems that I get hosts &
dhcp set up, upgrades/updates come along, and poof!, I'm back to static.
I'm happy knowing that 192.168.x.100 is that machine, 192.168.x.101 is
this machine, etc.
  Further, if I build VPN's into my remote networks, static IP's on the
lan side are critical - particularly when the other side is Windows. I
VPN into a primary DSL router with a FDQN, but to get to the other
machines, static IP's are IMO the only way to reliably find them.

DHCP has it's place of course, particularly on laptops, or connecting a
guest. But I seldom use it otherwise.