Print to PDF file

Mark Nichols ubuntu.prole at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:42:18 UTC 2007

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Gutsy Ubuntu desktop I created a PDF printer with
> system-config-printer.py 0.7.75 and now when I need to print a document
> in .pdf I can to choice this created printer, but when I do that I got
> the print wizard with no field to choice the file's path and if I click
> to print the wizard close but I don't know where is the file and its
> name !?
>
> It seems any file is created.
>
> What's wrong ?
>
> Sam.

Using cups-pdf, here's how I did this:

$ sudo apt-get install cups-pdf

(May already be there.)

Add a new printer (system -> administration -> printing), select the
"Print into PDF File" and click Forward.  Select "Generic" under Makes,
and click Forward.  For Models I used "PDF File Generator." Give you new
PDF printer a name, description (optional) and location (optional).
Click Apply.

The output gets stored in $HOME/PDF, and unfortunately you don't get to
pick the file name on creation.

mark
"I don't believe I understand all I know about this."