Samba on Gutsy 64bit Errors? [SOLVED]

chris lostpkts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:38:48 UTC 2007

On Oct 27, 2007 12:05 AM, chris <lostpkts at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/07, chris <lostpkts at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/24/07, chris <lostpkts at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm trying to get Samba working on a 64bit Gutsy server install.  I
> > > selected Samba to be installed during the install.
> > >
> > > After I got into the server, I did a
> > >
> > > smbpasswd -a <user>
> > > smbpasswd -e <user>
> > >
> > > Leaving the smb.conf file intact, I uncommented the [home] stuff that
> > > I wanted and that works fine.
> > >
> > > However when I use my share, it doesn't.  The windows client keeps
> > > prompting for a passwd.
> > >
> > > [files]
> > >         comment = Misc Files and Programs
> > >         path = /shares/files
> > >         valid users = @users
> > >         admin users = @admin
> > >         write list = @admin
> > >

> > > I made sure my <user> was in the 'users' and 'admin' groups but still
> > > no joy.  Yes, I restarted Samba. :)
> > >
> > > I find it odd, as this share is the same setup I have on a gentoo box
> > > and it works fine.  So I'm a bit confused.  I did see that there was
> > > no smbusers in /etc/samba so I made one for my <user> but still no
> > > joy.  But porb not needed as its using the tdbsam thing.  Not sure.
> > >
> > > I'm also seeing this in the logs:
> > >
> > > [2007/10/24 05:20:41, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792)
> > >   create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
> > > [2007/10/24 05:20:41, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758)
> > >   create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
> > >

> > > Please advise.
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >

> > I commented out my
> >        valid users = @users
> >        admin users = @admin
> >        write list = @admin
> > and then it works.   However I want to have teh share as readonly for
> > everyone except people in admin group.  If I uncomment the write list,
> > its still read only.
> >
> > Any pointers?   These options do work on my gentoo box so a bit
> > confused as to why not on Ubuntu.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I changed my stanza to the following.
>
> [files]
>         comment = Misc Files and Programs
>         path = /shares/files
>         create mask = 644
>         directory mask = 755
>         write list = user1
>
> yet I still can't write to the share as user1.  this is a serious
> fault as I can't setup the shares the way that is needed to make sure
> they are readonly for all except for the few exceptions.
>
> Anyone?

I uninstalled Samba and reinstalled and it started to use the options
I needed.  I originally instaleld it during the install of the server
and selected it along with LAMP.

Not sure why this fixed it and cant' really see an issue with the old
smb.conf and new smb.conf.  But things are working now and I'm happy.
:)

Thanks