Proftpd error (may related to Webmin)

Karl-Heinz Schulz karlheinz at khschulz.com
Tue Oct 30 12:18:05 UTC 2007

I did install Webmin and started to experience logon errors.
It seems that only admin users can logon.

I went through the proftpd.conf setting and cannot find any wrong.

What am I missing?

#
# /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf -- This is a basic ProFTPD configuration file.
# To really apply changes reload proftpd after modifications.
#

# Includes DSO modules
Include /etc/proftpd/modules.conf

ServerName			"FTP Server"
ServerType			standalone
DeferWelcome			off

MultilineRFC2228		on
DefaultServer			on
ShowSymlinks			on

TimeoutNoTransfer		600
TimeoutStalled			600
TimeoutIdle			1200

DisplayLogin                    welcome.msg
DisplayFirstChdir               .message
ListOptions                	"-l"

DenyFilter			\*.*/

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port				21

# In some cases you have to specify passive ports range to by-pass
# firewall limitations. Ephemeral ports can be used for that, but
# feel free to use a more narrow range.
# PassivePorts                    49152 65534

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
# to 30.  If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
# at once, simply increase this value.  Note that this ONLY works
# in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
# that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
# (such as xinetd)
MaxInstances			30

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User				proftpd
Group				nogroup

# To cause every FTP user to be "jailed" (chrooted) into their home
# directory, uncomment this line.
DefaultRoot ~

# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new files and dirs
# (second parm) from being group and world writable.
Umask				022  022
# Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
AllowOverwrite			on

# Uncomment this if you are using NIS or LDAP to retrieve passwords:
# PersistentPasswd		off

# Be warned: use of this directive impacts CPU average load!
#
# Uncomment this if you like to see progress and transfer rate with ftpwho
# in downloads. That is not needed for uploads rates.
# UseSendFile			off

TransferLog /var/log/proftpd/xferlog
SystemLog /var/log/proftpd/proftpd.log

<IfModule mod_tls.c>
TLSEngine off
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_quota.c>
QuotaEngine on
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_ratio.c>
Ratios on
</IfModule>

# Delay engine reduces impact of the so-called Timing Attack described in
# http://security.lss.hr/index.php?page=details&ID=LSS-2004-10-02
# It is on by default.
<IfModule mod_delay.c>
DelayEngine on
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_ctrls.c>
ControlsEngine        on
ControlsMaxClients    2
ControlsLog           /var/log/proftpd/controls.log
ControlsInterval      5
ControlsSocket        /var/run/proftpd/proftpd.sock
</IfModule>

<Global>
</Global>