Wine & Office 97

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Oct 30 08:59:21 UTC 2007

Gunawan wrote:
> [...]
Yes! Doing it this way, as another poster said, you can sort of abstract
the hardware detection problems of win98. For win98, vmware looks like a
very average PC and Win98 will install there without any problems. On
the other hand, ubuntu/linux will most likely run on any (read: many)
modern hardware machines and vmware server will run on any ubuntu
installation. The result: You can operate win98 on any modern machine,
as long as ubuntu runs on it.

> is it vmware for ubuntu/linux free?
not entirely. VMware Workstation has a prize tag, as has esx server.
The good news: VMware Server is free (as in money) and you can use it
just like VMware workstation on a single PC. It actually can do much
more, but this is of no concern here, since it is a vmware workstation
that you want to "simulate" to run an abstracted virtual PC that runs win98.

> I have once knew the product called vmware infrastructure.
> is it the same with esx server? I have no idea how to use it.
> Do you have best practice experience on it?
VMware server is sort of entryproduct or testbed product to enter the
VMware Infrastructure where esx server is also a vital part.

However you do not need to care for this.

Just download VMware Server for Linux and VMware Server Console for
Linux, install those two, then install win98 and your friends
application inside Win98, then transfer the win98 install by simple file
copy to any other workstation that has vmware running and you are done.

Btw. There is also virtualbox and qemu that run win98 inside Linux
nicely. There may be others, but I have not much experience with any of
them.