Recommendation: good file compare program ?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Tue Oct 30 04:52:07 UTC 2007

ma, 2007-10-29 kello 07:58 +0100, Alexandre Franke kirjoitti:
> On 10/29/07, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:
> > What is the best program to compare 2 of these files i.e.
> > the first (system inst set) and my current one ???
>
> You might want to check out Meld.

When did this tool come out and why nobody told me about it before! :-)
This is the holy grail of being easily able to control that you always
have an unchanged copy of your important files. Just keep three copies
of the files on different media, and then compare the three every now
and then. If one of them has changed, replace the media on and create a
new copy. Yay! :-)

I'm sure this has been possible to do with some command line tools until
now, but using the command line for anything more complicated than
launching dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg or just copy-pasting some
commands to get out of trouble just makes me feel too uncomfortable (I
have tried to learn to like it, but never succeeded).

Ari Torhamo