Static IP address assignments [WAS Re: NIC Settings for IBM Thinkpad T30 / wired & wireless]

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Tue Oct 30 00:01:43 UTC 2007

Again hi, Michael
Thanks for your assistance.
Here again I answer directly into your text below:

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 02:59 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 17:14 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > >
> > > Ah. Well, you have a very specific configuration. I'm not sure if
> > > there's a reasonably way to have automatic management.
> >
> > I do not believe, that my configuration is very specific ! ;-)
> > I simply prefer the static settings of all connected units in a very
> > organised and structured manner !! ;-))
>
> That's fine, but most users are getting their host configuration via
> DHCP, so going the static address assignment puts you in a small class
> of users. That's OK, but the tools are built around the "easy way".
>
> Also, even if you do want to assign specific IPs to specific hosts, it's
> still better to use DHCP and set that assignment in DHCP server.
>
> Nevertheless, it is a valid choice (and sometimes a need) to use static
> IP address assignments.
>
> With any luck, I can give you some pointers on using static IP address
> assignments.

Would love it ! ;-)

> > > You'll probably have to manually enable/disable your network devices in
> > > System/Administration/Network.
> >
> > That's generally my attitude !!!
> > I decide and switch what to select and where to go !!
> > If needed, I prepare respective settings for a special location:
> > home docked, mobile island: wired or OFF, or whatever needed !
>
> Cool. I personally find it must simpler just to let the computer figure
> out what I want (if I plug in an ethernet cable, I obviously want to use
> 802.3u, if I'm not plugged into ethernet and a wireless network that I
> have used before is detected, I would like to use that ...)

YEAH, this sounds really great & I could accept & appreciate it too ;-)
May be I have really to consider this way ;-))

Can you guide me to get my static settings first and then I try your
auto setting !? TIA for accepting ;-)

> But as I said, it's certainly your choice to do it the other way, and it
> should be possible to set the computer up to do it in that manner.

Well, DHCP surely is a fine thing. Nothing to set and everything runs
magically and well !! I love that too ;-))

Since years, with all my OS'es I always use/d the same very methodical
and structured NW layout and had no problems with.

I am accessing the Wireless Modem Access Point Router with mainly OS/2
Warp, sometimes Windows XP Pro and now Ubuntu and like to identify each
system by its respective last 3 IP digits, i.e. 221=my system, 222=my
notebook, 183=the color bj, 184=the LJ !!!

> > > Just configure everything with System/Administration/Network.
> >
> > Confused !!! How & what ??? The newbie struggles ;-)
>
> Well, open up that administrative tool. It should ask for your password,
> because it can modify your system config files.
>
> Once in, you should see your network devices listed. You should see that
> some are "Wireless" and some are "Wired." You may even have a "Modem"
> connection available.
>
> Just click on a connection device that you want to set up, and click
> "Properties."
>
> Once inside the properties dialog for the device, you should uncheck
> "Enable roaming mode", and you should be able to select "Static IP
> address." I trust you can set the needed details (IP address, subnet,
> gateway) into the appropriate inputs. If the device is wireless, you
> should be able to select the wireless network to which you want to
> connect, too.
>
> Once set up, you can separately enable and disable the devices by
> checking and unchecking the checkbox next to the device.
>
> Note that you'll probably have to configure the DNS settings in the DNS
> tab in the same administrative control panel.
>
> Once you've set all that stuff up, you can save the location by using
> the save button at the top of the Network Settings window. If you make
> changes, you can later restore the saved settings by selecting it in the
> selector and clicking the apply button.

This is what i already done !
After all these experiments I have to assume that its settings change do
not work properly / well in Ubuntu !?
A quick Debian 4.0 installation showed a better result while switching
from profile 232 wired eth0 to 222 wireless wlan0 essid displaing a
popup with a process bar confirming the switching !!!

With my Ubuntu installation is absolutely nothing visible while
switching so !?! ;-O
???

> > > No. Not if you need static IP addresses.
> >
> > OK, but I also tried it for once ;-)
> > Doesn't work ;-(
> >
> > Thanks a lot & cheers, svobi
>
> With any luck, that should get you where you want to be.

Once more thanks for your very appreciated assistance.
Cheers, svobi