Ubuntu 7.10 : Low Resolution For Acer AL1706

Nigel Wilkinson nigel at waspz.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 20:26:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
ajay kumar <toajai at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I have installed ubuntu 7.10 but faced with this very low resolution.
> I tried a lot with trying to reconfigure by xorg-xserver but the max I
> could 800x600 while the  monitor supports upto 1280x1024.

I had the same problem with the ACER1917.

The problem was the Monitor section
I can't remember whether it was the HorizSync or VertRefresh that the
range did not go high enough. I entered the figures from my old fiesty
Xorg.conf which I happened to have saved. Why fiesty recognised my
monitor but gutsy doesn't I don't know

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	Option		"DPMS"
	HorizSync	28-64
	VertRefresh	43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"S3 Inc. SuperSavage IX/C SDR"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	16
	SubSection "Display"
		Modes		"1280x1024" "1024x768"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

But be careful I don't know haow much harm you can do with the wrong
figures. Many years ago Linux used to warn that you could destroy your
monitor by useing the wrong refresh rates so I'm still cautious even
though it may well no longer be true.

Cheers
Nigel