samba problem

lhunsicker at mchsi.com lhunsicker at mchsi.com
Sun Oct 28 15:41:43 UTC 2007

Fajar Prianto asked:

>  I mean, can you really access the shares on Windows from Windows? Not just to
>  see it.

Yes.  From one Windows computer I was able to create and edit a *.txt file on
one of the shares of the other Windows computer.  But I can't see the shares on
either of the Windows computers from the Ubuntu computer.

When I ran:  smbclient -L ipofwindowspc -U userthatcanconnecttoit

(with the appropriate substitutions), after asking for my password it showed me
all of the shares on both of the Windows machines.  Interstingly, when I did
that using the ip# of the Ubuntu server, it shows me the Samsung printer
attached to the Windows machine as a share on the server.  So it obviously knows
that the shares are there.  It also suggests that I ought to be able to set up
the printer, even though I can't see the printer share.

I tried installing smbfs, but that actually screwed up my being able to see the
two Windows computers, so I removed it.  Evidently smbfs is now deprecated in
favor of cifs, but I couldn't locate a cifs package.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks for your help on this and other problems.

Larry Hunsicker