samba problem

lhunsicker at mchsi.com lhunsicker at mchsi.com
Sun Oct 28 02:00:39 UTC 2007

Hi, folks:

One of my last ubuntu installation problems is that Samba isn't working right
yet.  Samba is installed.  I have the ubuntu server and two Windows PCs in a
wireless (internal) network.  One of the internal PCs has the printer attached
to it.  The networking itself is working fine.  (I can connect from either of
the internal PCs to the network through the server.)

Samba is also working at least part way.  From either of the internal Windows
PCs, I can see the shares on the server and move files to them.  I can print
from the one internal PC to the other internal PC with the printer.  And when I
look at the network from the Ubuntu server, I can see the other two machines, as
well as the shares on the server.  But when I click on either of the icons for
the two internal Windows PCs, I am told, "The folder contents could not be
displayed.  Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: carol".

This is rather inconvenient, because I am not able to see the printer on carol,
and therefore cannot print from my server.

Please note that the printer and the Share directory on the inside PC with the
printer are shared with "everybody".  So it shouldn't be a password issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help that any of you can give me.

Larry Hunsicker