Friday discuss, nostalgy

Rapael Morcha raphael.morcha at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 05:36:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 07:35:20PM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 16:31 +0200, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > I remember in the "old" times, there was a way to switch from a Debian
> > to an Ubuntu just by changing the repos in sources.list and making
> > some minor changes to the system.
>
> IIRC that was never supported. People just did it (me included), but it
> was always a bad idea. You'd get irreproducible bugs and what not.

AFAIK, lot of this reasoning has to do with ubuntu developers putting in their own crufts in the package that they borrow from Debian and vice-versa. :) Although architecturally, Debian and Ubuntu seems very similar but there are subtlelities in how they make changes to upstream packages. That is why I believe, one should not try these stunts without having internal knowledge of package management subsystem because it is bound to break stuffs around. ;) Having said that, no one stops you from firing vmware and play around. ;)

--
Cheers,
Raphael.