Fwd: Re: Postfix, Mutt And No Root Mail?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 26 20:15:18 UTC 2007

We're on two threads now but I guess it will work out
after another cycle or two.  See below:
--- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> > FWIW, this has all been resolved except I still
> don't
> > get root mail.  Someone said that Ubuntu doesn't
> > support root mail.  I could still use a good
> > explanation on why no root mail.
>
> No root.  How can you have root _mail_ without a
> root account?  If you
> enable the root account, you can strictly have root
> mail, but otoh, why
> bother.

Derek,
I may have a root account.  I opened mutt as root on
tty.  Said I have no root account and asked if I
wanted to create one and I answered yes.  Doing so,
mutt closed suddenly and upon opening mutt again, no
mail as root or user.  Didn't restart anything though.
Let's be sure we're on the same wavelength on root
mail. What I mean, is all the error messages one gets
when  a user tries to do something that only root has
permission to do and other program error messages, log
errors that are reported to the user designate for
receiving root mail.  Under Debian install setup, all
I did was answer with the username for who I wanted
root mail to go to.  Don't remember if I did this for
Dapper or even if I got root mail. There may be a
program(s) that facilitates root mail, if so, I've
forgotten what
they are.  I know I'm not very clear on this but it's
all I remember.

> Add "root:anotherusername" to /etc/aliases, restart
> postfix, and all mail
> sent to "root" should go to "anotherusername".

I have this in /etc/aliases:
root at ubuntu:/var/mail# cat /etc/aliases
# Added by installer for initial user
root:   lchata
clamav: root
webmaster: root
logcheck: root
root at ubuntu:/var/mail#
Did an /etc/init.d/postfix restart
Then ran mutt as root and user.  Got nothing but my
regular web mail from yahoo. I think something else is
wrong or another required program needs to be
installed.

> I imagine that's exactly what postalias does.

Don't know how to use postaliases.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net