New ATI Driver - Kernel 2.6.22-14 problems

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Fri Oct 26 19:18:02 UTC 2007

David Vincent wrote:
> Guillaume RIVIERE wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Did someone try the latest ATI driver with Gutsy ?
>> (http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/8.42.3) it's supposed to come with
>> AIGLX support.
>>
>> I cannot try it for the moment because the latest Kernel upgrade
>> (2.6.22-14) make my T43 very very unstable (sometime no mouse, the wifi
>> doesn't work, no compiz, etc ...), I have to use 2.6.22-13 .but t do not
>> come with headers needed to install the new driver ...
>>
>> Someone know about specific problems with 2.6.22-14 kernel ?
>>
>> Guillaume
>>

> sweet!  i'll give it a whirl and report back.

well i'm back on the ati driver after getting everything working nicely
under the latest ati release.  here's why:

1.  hibernate and suspend are still broken with the fglrx driver.  it is
a kernel issue and requires ati to fix it in their drivers.

2.  i cannot run compiz with my dual-head display.  it'd have to drop
both monitors to 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024 and i'm just not willing
to do that.

the new aiglx support is nice (i hate xgl) and i get almost twice the
fps with glxgears with the fglrx driver over the ati, but when it comes
down to it i'll take function over form every time.

so now i'm back on ati, with no compiz, no googleearth, but working
suspend/hibernate and i'm happy.  googleearth can be used on my other
machine (with the nvidia card in it) when i need it and i just don't
care enough about desktop effects to run them full time.

-d