Grub missing

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Oct 26 18:57:18 UTC 2007

On 2007/10/26 20:00 (GMT+0200) Mario Vukelic apparently typed:

> On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 18:47 +0100, KING Farrel wrote:

>> I have a dual boot of windows XP and Ubuntu on my Laptop. I reformat
>> the XP partition and install it again, after which find out that my
>> grub is missing. I don have access to my ubuntu.

> Yes, installing Windows always takes over the Master Boot Record of the
> hard disk and prevents other systems from booting. What a nice and
> friendly attitude of MS towards their paying customers, isn't it.

Actually that's a common conception rooted in Linux installers' standard
non-acceptance of standard MBR code - essentially the same problem Linux
people complain about. There's no need in most cases for Grub to be in the
MBR. When Linux is installed to accept use of standard MBR code, there can be
no damage to Grub or Linux. The only problem with what doz "does to Linux" is
Linux's own fault for changing the MBR code in the first place.

Standard MBR code passes control to the "active" (or "startable" or
"bootable", 0x80 in the MBR partition table) primary partition on the first
disk. When the doz partition is active, it's what control gets passed to,
where with modern versions its own boot loader can pass control to another
partition, such as one on which Linux and Grub are installed. When a
Linux/Grub partition is active, it's what control gets passed to, where via
chainloading control can get passed to doz instead of Linux when that is what
is desired.

More: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html
--
"The basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings
we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409