WordPerfect

David Restall - System Administrator dave at restall.net
Fri Oct 26 07:16:48 UTC 2007

Pete Clapham <w.clapham at csuohio.edu> wrote:

> Hi, all --
>=20
> Some time ago, Corel put out a version of WordPerfect 8 for Linux.  I=20
> would like to load it (I have a legal disk!) on my Gutsy machine, but
> it doesn't seem to want to load.  Does anybody have an idea how to do
> this?

The question has to be why ?  I was a long time user of WordPerfect on
DOS & SunOS and didn't like the windows version of it so bought the
Corel version of it expecting some good things (TM).   Even when it
was released, it was fiddly to get running, resource hungry and worst
of all it was not WordPerfect as I knew and loved it and I was sorely
disappointed at saddened at what this once great product had become.
In my opinion, Corel screwed up big time with WordPerfect, they released
it at a time when there wasn't a viable WP available in the Unix/Linux
market and they could have cleaned up if they had done it right -
they should have OpenSourced it and made money on support contracts,
they would probably have made more money that way than what they did.
There were some features in WordPerfect that I used quite a lot that I
would like to see in more modern word processors such as 'View Codes'
and text only mode.  Why they all have to be 'Graphical' is beyond me.

While OpenOffice has its peculiarities, it is still better than what
you will get from an aged WordPerfect.

Regards,

ubuntu/users-2007-10-26.tx             w.clapham at csuohio.edu ubuntu-users
| Dave Restall, Computer Nerd, Cyclist, Radio Amateur G4FCU, Bodger          |
| Mob +44 (0) 7973 831245      Skype: dave.restall             Radio: G4FCU  |
| email : dave at restall.net                     Web : Not Ready Yet :-(       |
| A bore is a man who talks so much about himself that you can't talk        |
| about yourself.                                                            |