software raid

Ruben Laban r.laban at ism.nl
Fri Oct 26 06:33:00 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007 05:33:32 Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > Marcelo Magno wrote:
> > > Is there a way to add another disk and arrange it in a software raid
> > > mirror with the first disk, without having to reinstall all the system?
> >
> > As far as I know, adding a non RAID disk to a RAID array must come with
> > a partition table overwrite.
> > If your first disk is not RAID, it will have to be overwritten.
> > Anyway, wait for some more answers.
>
> No, you can't do software raid without setting up the partition type as
> software raid first. So, you need to reinstall.

Reinstall shouldn't be necesary.

Tools like Mondo/Mindi can do it for you as far as I know (haven't used it
myself, yet).

It can also be done by hand without requiring reinstallation of the OS, but it
can be rather tricky. Then again, there are numerous howto's on this subject
out there on the 'net.

I suggest looking into mondo first, if that doesn't work/feel right/etc, you
should look around for manual howto's. I do know the basics, but can't recall
the details on top of my head (been quite a while since I last performed such
a task).

And it's always recommended when doing stuff like this to make a proper backup
of the system.

HTH,
--
Ruben