Really dumb complaint - we hate the light- brown desktop at the start!

Edgars Šmits ed.smits at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 06:12:21 UTC 2007

I went back and found the exchange in question. Line 61 in my
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default already is set to black

BackgroundColor=#000000

so that isn't the solution.

Mike.G then said there was a known bug (Bug #140821 in gdm) and still
open, and to change the colour you need to manually edit line 61
(backcolor) of the /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default script, where the
light-brown is hard-coded. I just did that, restarted GDM, and voila!
the hated background is no longer visible at all, we go straight to
black, then our desktop image gets loaded.

Many thanks, especially to Mike G. who originally provided the answer
and to NoOp who reminded me of it.

ED