Aumix doesn't work anymore

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Fri Oct 26 00:52:39 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:52:01 +0200, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 13:33 +0200, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
>> Ever since I upgraded to gutsy, aumix doesn't work. It displays the
>> following message:
>>
>> $ aumix
>>  aumix:  SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK
>>
>> I have attached the strace output. I haven't seen anything suspicious in
>> it.
>

>From the strace output:

open("/dev/mixer", O_RDWR) = 3
ioctl(3, 0x20044dfe, 0x804e378) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)

aumix opens /dev/mixer for read/write access and gets assigned 3 as its
file descriptor. An ioctl system call is made to communicate
with /dev/mixer using a request code and and integer which may be a
value or pointer to an address. Without knowing what the device expects
those numbers to be, it's difficult to determine if the numbers are
valid. What is known is that ioctl didn't get what it wanted and issued
an ENXIO. Usually that means error non-existent device, or some
capability of the device was exceeded or un-configured. To troubleshoot
the first possible error condition, I would check to see with lsmod if
the module snd_mixer_oss is loaded. If it isn't then load it with
modprobe and try aumix again. If that doesn't work, then the cause may
be some API change with the mixer that aumix hasn't been updated for.

--
sktsee