/desktop/gnome/font_rendering/dpi hard coded to 96?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Oct 25 21:29:54 UTC 2007

Anyone know why that setting is 96 instead of the dpi detected by
Xorg?  96dpi is way off for this display:

    $ fgrep DPI /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (--) fglrx(0): DPI set to (129, 126)

Was there some issue with hardware detection?

Oh, I found this issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libgnome/+bug/118745

I don't really follow.  Does Xorg really get the dpi detection wrong
more often that gets it correct?  Seems like using some random value
(96) just because it used to be a common dpi is a bad idea.

The only problem is now I can't seem to get xterm to load the similar
font as before.  Before (with dpi set to 96) xterm -fs 10 produced a nice font.
But now xterm -fs 8 is similar size but a different fonts seems to get
loaded.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org