Aumix doesn't work anymore

Nigel Wilkinson nigel at waspz.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 21:26:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:33:02 +0200
Vladimir Nikšić <vniksic at nimium.hr> wrote:

> Ever since I upgraded to gutsy, aumix doesn't work. It displays the
> following message:
>
> $ aumix
>  aumix:  SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK
>
> I have attached the strace output. I haven't seen anything suspicious
> in it.
>
> At work, I'm using Fedora 7 with the latest updates, and aumix works
> normally. I have been googling around, but haven't found anything
> useful. Does anyone have any ideas?

I had the same problem and was a bit pissed about it as aumix is a
neat, compact utility. After much googling I got the impression that
this error message appears because the oss sound is not available.
Ubuntu, I believe, defaults to alsa. Now on previous versions aumix
worked, I believe, because of alsa's emulation of the oss system.

A bit more searching and I discover the package "oss-compat" which says

This package ensures that OSS support is provided in some way.  On
Linux, it enables the ALSA compatibility modules.

Excitedly I installed it, it makes bugger all difference, I still get

aumix:  SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK

I have given up for the moment. The best alternatives I've found are
alsamixer (but I hate FTLTK) and gamix ( gui seems to need some
polishing)

So, I've given up for present. If you do any better PLEASE let me know.

Cheers
Nigel