Problems with Hibernate

Mark Nichols ubuntu.prole at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:46:52 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, David Vincent <dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca> wrote:

> Mark Nichols wrote:
> >

> > On 10/25/07, *David Vincent* <dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
> > <mailto:dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca>> wrote:
> >
> >     ubuntu prole wrote:
> >      > Greetings,
> >      >
> >      > When I suspend my workstation (details in the signature) using
> the
> >      > hibernate feature I am unable to "wake" it later.  Keyboard and
> mouse
> >      > inputs are ignored.  I am forced to reboot the machine.  A quick
> >     search
> >      > revealed several postings elsewhere that talk of problems waking
> >     7.10;
> >      > but none that included viable help. Are there any workarounds or
> >      > suggestions as to what to try?
> >      >
> >      > I installed xserver-xgl and compizconfig-settings-manager
> >     yesterday, and
> >      > was using the 'Extra' visual effects, which seemed to be using a
> >      > tremendous amount of CPU even when the machine was sleeping.  I'd
> >     like
> >      > to use hibernate to quiesce the machine when it isn't going to be
> >     in use
> >      > for a while.  I can turn the Visual Effects off, but I'd rather
> keep
> >      > them and be able to use hibernate if at all possible.
> >
> >     I switched to uswsusp and used this page to help me:
> >

> http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php/2007/02/11/fixing-software-suspend-hibernate-with-uswsusp-in-ubuntu-feisty-and-edgy/
> >
> >     I had to do this on Feisty and this worked great.
> >
> >     Try first installing the uswsusp package and then try a "sudo
> >     s2disk" in
> >     a terminal.
> >
> >     -d
> >

> > I am running in LVM, so my swap space is actually
> > /dev/mapper/lvmvolume-swap.  When I installed uswsusp I got an error
> > message saying that a valid swap space could not be found.  Unless there
> > is some way to confiure uswsusp to use my LVM managed swap space, I
> > don't think this solution is going to work for me.
>
> I had that problem on one machine - I think it is because my swap is
> less than 512mb and my RAM is 1gb so even with compression it won't fit.
>   I haven't solved that issue yet - could you be having the same one?

Hm.  sudo lvdisplay lvmvolume shows that I have 2.0 GB allocated to
/dev/lvmvolume/swap.  And the machine has 2.2 GB of RAM.  I don't think it's
a compression issue.  I could expand the swap logical drive if that would
help.

I've also never used LVM so I don't know any gotchas with uswsusp there.

I only know enough about LVM to be really dangerous.

-d

Mark

--
I don't believe I understand all I know about this.
Release 7.10 (gutsy), Kernel Linux 2.6.22-14-generic, GNOME 2.20.0