Problems with Hibernate

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:43:33 UTC 2007

ubuntu prole said the following on 10/25/2007 09:21 AM:
> I don't believe I understand all I know about this.
> Release 7.10 (gutsy), Kernel Linux 2.6.22-14-generic, GNOME 2.20.0
> Memory 2.2 GB, Processor 0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.4 GHz, Processor
> 1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.4 GHz

I can't tell what graphics card you have from this sig .. if it's an
ati, then you can't hibernate / suspend on gutsy if you use fglrx ..
it's a kernel incompatibility that only ati can fix.  Suspend /
hibernate in gutsy are done by acpi-support.  So, look at the options in
/etc/default/acpi-support and play with them to see if disabling some
things will help.  For example, nvidia does not support VBE so it's
necessary to set SAVE_VBE_STATE=false and POST_VIDEO=false.

HTH