how to change the yellow background color?

Benjamin Kircher benjamin.kircher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 14:22:00 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, 黄叶 <hylinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, All
> I have a question,  I don't  like ubuntu yellow background,  so, I had use
> some theme for change
> the gnome desktop, include the background image, and the window manager,
> and had changed the gdm theme.
>
> it seem ot all tings is ok.
> but I found one background  is yellow still.
> that background is show after I had inputted the username and password,
> but the gnome splan not begin,
> this background is yellow still.
> it is X Server background ?
>
> how to changed this background color or image I like ?
>
> thanks very much.
>
> Mike.G

Hi Mike,

I don't like this ugly pseudo-yellow color, too (actually this color is
#dab082, ugly isn't it?). So I've found a solution, and ahem, well I hope
you are command-line-savy :D

Edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom to your needs. I changed following entries in
[greeter] section:
BackgroundColor=#4c4c4c
GraphicalThemedColor=#4c4c4c
... yeah, I like #4c4c4c pretty much :D

So, normally this should work, but the Ubuntu-guys added a script which gets
executed right after you inserted your user name and password:
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default. Its intend is just eye-candy, so just change
the ugly default color to something you prefer.

Edit /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default in line 61 (on my box)
BACKCOLOR="#dab082" to
BACKCOLOR="#4c4c4c" or something else.

At last you need to restart your gdm with
# sudo invoke-rc.d gdm restart

and you're done. Hope this works. Have a nice day!

Benjamin