broken dist upgrade

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 24 01:34:30 UTC 2007

On 10/23/2007 05:15 PM, James Takac wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:31:12 am NoOp wrote:
>> On 10/23/2007 04:03 PM, James Takac wrote:
>> > Hi Guys
>> >
>> > I think my distribution upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 may have gone awry.
>> > During the upgrade it had frozen during the installing (after updating
>> > software channels) and was stuck there for over 8 hours. No cancel button
>> > of course so I had to kill the process. When trying to restart I get a
>> > list of updates for 7.10 but am then told to sudo dpkg --configure -a to
>> > fix things. However this to hangs with "setting up cfs (1.4.1-18)" and
>> > never gets any further. Is it possible to fix this or am I likely better
>> > off downloading the install disk and going from there?
>> >
>> > James
>>
>> Sounds very much like the problem that I had with one of my systems. For
>> some reason /etc/apt/sources.list did not get updated to include:
>>
>> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted universe
>> multiverse
>>
>> As a result I think that critical pieces weren't properly installed
>> during the upgrade & then when you reboot they can't be found by the
>> system.
>>
>> # apt-get update
>> # apt-get upgrade
>> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>> # apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
>>
>> seemed to have fixed it for me.
>

> Hi NoOp
>
> This is getting strange. Rebooted and got a kernel panic so I booted the
> previous kernel. That came up fine, logged in and was greeted with the setup
> for the kde desktop. Was using gnome before and did not chose kde. But it's
> working here for now. Reran sudo dpkg --configure -a and it appears (is going
> right now) to be going through everything. No longer sticking. So maybe
> (fingers crossed) this will fix it? Did the dist upgrade change the desktop
> manager without asking me? Hopefully I don't need to go through this with the
> other 2 still to be upgraded. The change of desktop I don't mind so much.
> Functionality first ;)
>
> James

If I recall, it did the same to me. I blew out kde and then had to do
the same again after:
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get -f install
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
etc.

My guess is that this system was loaded with so much old installs that
the basic upgrade just couldn't handle it. All seems well again with my
system, but it was pretty messy & very frustrating. The other systems
seemed to do well (except the apparmor stuff & a few other problems that
were easily fixed).

Gary