broken dist upgrade

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 23 23:31:12 UTC 2007

On 10/23/2007 04:03 PM, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I think my distribution upgrade from 7.04 to 7.10 may have gone awry. During
> the upgrade it had frozen during the installing (after updating software
> channels) and was stuck there for over 8 hours. No cancel button of course so
> I had to kill the process. When trying to restart I get a list of updates for
> 7.10 but am then told to sudo dpkg --configure -a to fix things. However this
> to hangs with "setting up cfs (1.4.1-18)" and never gets any further. Is it
> possible to fix this or am I likely better off downloading the install disk
> and going from there?
>
> James

Sounds very much like the problem that I had with one of my systems. For
some reason /etc/apt/sources.list did not get updated to include:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted universe
multiverse

As a result I think that critical pieces weren't properly installed
during the upgrade & then when you reboot they can't be found by the
system.

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade
# apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop

seemed to have fixed it for me.