Sharing directories across the LAN

Njoku, George O. njokug at winthrop.edu
Tue Oct 23 17:58:23 UTC 2007

I would go with samba and my configuration for a group will be as
follows.....

1. Create a group e.g shares

2. create users = you and your wife

3. add you and wife to group = shares

4. smb.conf
	[snip]

		[Shares]
		  	comment = share directory
			path = /home/shares	(create directory first)
			writable = yes
 			create mask = 0664      (allow rw to owner and
group)
		 	directory mask = 775  	(allow rwx to owner and
group)
			valid users %S		(only users in
/etc/passwd can have access)

	[snip]

5. use smbpasswd to create samba passwords for you and wife

6.  Map network drive (reconnect at restart/remember password)

7. place shortcut on desktop or wife

Cheers
George