Printer support

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 23 16:58:32 UTC 2007

On 10/23/2007 09:33 AM, gup502 wrote:
> I read in Linux Journal that Shuttleworth mentioned this, "Firstly, one
> can expect better printer support in Version 7.10. Essentially, because
> Ubuntu's printing system is similar to that of a Macintosh, any printer
> compatible with a Mac should also be compatible with Ubuntu 7.10."
>
> Does that mean we may use the same Mac printer driver?
>
> Cheers, Terence

Well... I'm still struggling to get my printer working again.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710
<quote>
Printing with AppArmor

Ubuntu 7.10 introduces an additional security layer called AppArmor,
whose support for CUPS printing is not yet complete. This will result in
printing failures in certain corner cases described below. The
workaround in each of these cases is to disable the AppArmor CUPS
profile by running sudo aa-complain cupsd. AppArmor support may be
re-enabled by running sudo aa-enforce cupsd.

    *

      Printing to bluetooth printers does not work with AppArmor
enabled. Bug #147800
    *

      Many third-party printer drivers (especially from printer
manufacturers) do not work. Bug #152537

Fax on HP multi-function devices does not work

    *

      Due to a bug in HP's driver software, faxing on all of HP
multi-function devices does not work. No workaround is currently
available, but HP has been informed of the issue. Bug #153152

No printer admin rights for added users

    *

      Users must be in the printing administration group, "lpadmin", to
be able to configure printer settings. The first system user created
during installation is added to this group, but users added or modified
with the user-admin tool at System -> Administration -> Users and Groups
will not be added to this group. As a workaround, you can grant
"lpadmin" privileges to users by running the command sudo adduser <user>
lpadmin in a terminal window. Bug #152107

</quote>