What java version should I use in Gutsy for LimeWire

Rutger van Haasteren vhaasteren at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:11:27 UTC 2007

Hi Guys,

I am running a fresh install of Gutsy-64bit (Very nice release, except for
the slow GNOME-startup after booting). But I have not read up on java the
past year. I know that suns Java will be GPL from version 7, but that's in
the future. So here's my point:

In Feisty I used to run LimeWire using the standard version of java, in the
java-common package if I remember correctly. What version of java is in
there? And why is that not installed by default in Gutsy, but is in Feisty?

For what I know, there are several versions of java out there: gjc (gij),
blackdown, and Sun. And I believe gij does not run LimeWire...  I know I
could just activate the sun version of Java, but that is not the point. I
like to know how to run the opensource version as well! Does anyone have a
nice explanation? Thanks!

Rutger

ps. I don't like LimeWire myself, but I have to have it.... gf :)